TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP
WESTDALE LANE PRACTICE
Title of the Group
The group shall be called the PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP (PPG) OF THE WESTDALE LANE PRACTICE, Gedling, Nottingham, NG4 3JA
The PPG shall be affiliated to the National Association for Patient Participation (NAPP) and shall conform to the requirements of NAPP.
A copy of the current Terms of Reference for the PPG will be lodged with the Peoples Council pertaining to the relevant Clinical Commissioning Group.
Aims of the Group
The aims of the PPG are:
- To promote the co-operation between the Practice and Patients to the benefit of both
- To promote an excellent quality of experience for the patients at Westdale Lane Surgery through developing an effective patient voice.
- To ensure that Patients and staff are informed of activities on a regular basis, via hard copy and electronic media.
Membership of the PPG
Membership of the PPG shall be open and free all registered patients and staff of the Practice.
Activities of the PPG
The PPG will be kept informed of the Practice Policies which impact upon the treatment of practice patients, any changes made to those policies, whether that is at the wish of the practice or of necessity as a direct change in policy from NHS England/CCG or subsequent management authority.
The PPG will:
- Be consulted by the practice on service development and provision and assist wherever possible in the assessment of community medical needs.
- Contribute to and be kept informed of practice decisions.
- Advise the practice on educational needs of the community by encouraging and supporting activities within the practice to promote good medical practices and healthy lifestyle choices.
- Contribute to the practice newsletter at least twice a year informing patients of its work with the practice and the activities of PPG. The newsletter will be distributed electronically where possible.
- Seek to ensure that patient information and advice are readily available and clearly presented.
- Represent patients at the practice in seeking to influence local provision of health and social care.
Meetings of the Group
The PPG will endeavour to meet no fewer than 4 times per annum and will, in addition, hold an AGM.
Notice of meetings, reports of meetings and information about PPG activities will be displayed on the allocated Notice Board in the waiting room.
Organisation of the PPG
The PPG activities will be organised by a Committee of volunteers and invited members.
The PPG will be composed of a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and between four to six additional members. Other members may be co-opted as necessary, when required.
This constitution will be agreed at the inaugural AGM or meeting an may be amended at subsequent AGMs of meetings.
A senior member of the Practice should also be named a principal contact.
The members will elect a Chair and Vice-chairs every two years.
Wherever possible, administrative assistance and support will be provided by the staff at the practice. When it is apparent that this is more appropriate than being provided by the PPG Secretary and members, or when it isn’t possible for PPG members to provide such assistance.
The Practice supports the PPG and its aims and objectives by providing information, guidance and a welcoming, inclusive manner.
At the discretions of the Chair and committee, a meeting shall be deemed quorate if a minimum of 25% of the committee members are present. Note should also be taken of ordinary member who are present in reaching a decision.